The Milt Olin Foundation is dedicated to eliminating distracted driving-related fatalities and serious injuries through education, community awareness, collaboration and advocacy.
Create a world where everyone drives with #HandsOff their mobile devices in an effort to eliminate distracted driving-related fatalities and serious injuries.
HOW WE DO IT
Engage with Technologists
- We are actively engaging with Tech companies to include safety notifications in their apps in order to remind drivers not to engage app usage while driving.
- Work together with technologists to develop standard principles and practices and give ratings to mobile technology safety aspects.
- Work to educate consumers to the dangers associated with distracted driving while using mobile devices.
Work with the Community
- Educate motorists on the dangers of distracted driving
- Be a central resource and catalyst for change within the business community.
- Speak to High School students and encourage new drivers to join the #HandsOff movement, download the free #HandsOff App and encouraging their family and friends to do the same.
- Encourage passengers to be designated texters for drivers.
- Stay current and connected to all efforts to eliminate distracted driving-related fatalities and serious injuries.
Work with Government Authorities
Urge government entities, urban planners and transportation designers to design bike lanes and crosswalks to alert distracted drivers.
- Support laws that hold the “automobile is always responsible” in auto vs. bike collisions.
- Advocate for lower speed limits where cyclist ride and where there are unprotected bike lanes.
- Support protected bike lanes by making the demarcation line between road and bike lane scored to alert a distracted driver.
- Advocate for stiffer penalties for incidents causing deaths or serious injuries involving a distracted driver.
- Support laws that make it illegal to operate any electronic device while driving and encourage law enforcement to enforce this laws.